The Columbia Public Schools Foundation established its first ever scholarship in 2023, named in honor of former Columbia Public Schools teacher Kathryn “Kay” McLeod. CPS high school seniors who plan to pursue a career in education may apply for the Kathryn “Kay” McLeod Scholarship. Learn more about Kay or apply for the scholarship.
What is the Kathryn “Kay” McLeod Scholarship from CPSF?
The Kathryn “Kay” McLeod Scholarship presented by the Columbia Public Schools Foundation honors former Columbia Public Schools teacher Kathryn “Kay” McLeod.
Both Kay and her husband, James “Mac” McLeod, were lifelong public educators. They began their careers at Columbia Public Schools, where Kay taught physical education at both Jefferson Junior and West Junior High School for 24 years, from 1948 to 1972. Kay had a passion for educating students and for seeing those students pursue further educational opportunities.
In recognition of her substantial contributions to the Foundation and to public education, the Foundation provides a $2,500 one-time scholarship in her name for a high school senior at each CPS high school who plans to pursue a career in education.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Applicants must be a high school senior at a Columbia Public Schools high school (Battle, Douglass, Hickman and Rock Bridge).
- Awarded to one graduating senior at each of the four CPS high schools.
- Applicant must be interested in pursuing a degree in education from an accredited two- or four-year institution.
- Dependents of CPSF board or CPSF staff members are not eligible to apply.
What is the scholarship amount?
- $2,500 per student
- One-time award
- Scholarship funds sent directly to recipients’ institutions (two- or four-year)
How do I submit an application?
Complete the online application form here, to include:
- At least two letters of recommendation from a teacher, counselor or coach
- An essay in response to the question, “Why do you want to pursue a career in education?” You may discuss those who influenced you to pursue a teaching career, if applicable.
How and when are the recipients selected?
- Final selection determined and approved by CPSF Board of Directors
- Applicants will be notified before high school graduation
When is the application deadline?
Application Deadline: Friday, February 16, 2024